Copper Country News | Amanda Moors Exhibit Reception at Gila County Historical Museum
Old Dominion Days at the Gila County Historical Museum kicks off tonight (Wednesday, September 28) with a Meet the Artists Reception hosted by Globe photographer Amanda Moors. Its exhibition features new works captured this summer, including long exposure scenes of the Milky Way during the summer months, when the galaxy’s breathtaking ‘core’ is visible on the darkest nights. Flash photos of 2022’s summer storms, and even creative time-lapse videos of these subjects and more, will also be shown on a flat-screen TV the museum has installed to accompany this exhibit.
A professional wildlife biologist and Globe resident since 1995, Moors specializes in biological surveys for the US Forest Service, University of Arizona, Bureau of Land Management, local ranchers and the San Carlos Apache Tribe. A long-time volunteer with the Becoming an Outdoorswoman workshops in Arizona, she also sits on the board of directors of the Arizona Wildlife Federation and serves as its treasurer. In 2002, two decades ago, she created and launched the coueswhitetail.com website, which quickly became the “Go To” portal for anyone who is also fascinated by the Coues Whitetail deer. His exhibition at the Gila County Historical Museum continues through October; for details, see the museum’s website, gilahistoricalmuseum.org, and Facebook page, facebook.com/gilahistorical.
Ancient Dominion Day events include:
* A Salute To Mining on September 29 with speakers from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Hamburger Fry on September 30 at 5:30 p.m. with live music by Neto & Imagine
* Guided tours of the Pinto Valley mine on September 29 and 30, with tour buses leaving the museum at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.; for reservations call (928) 425-7385
* Tours of Old Dominion Mine Park from September 29 to October 1 (open for this event, thanks to BHP)
* Gila County Sheriffs Conference by Linda Lopez on September 30 from 10 a.m. to noon
* Stairizona Trail Walking Tours led by local author Thea Wilshire and Regina Ortega on September 30 and October 1 at 7 a.m.
* Chuckwagon dinner on October 1 from 6 to 8 p.m. with music from Tumbleweeds ($25)
* Author Thea Wilshire discusses her new novel “Welcome To Nugget” and signs copies Sept. 30 from 1-2 p.m.
* Author Libby Rooney presents her book ‘Reflections’ and signs copies on September 30 from 3-5 p.m.
* Author Dawn Newland presents a new historical novel, “Arizona Tough,” and book signings Oct. 1 from 2-5 p.m.